Thursday, April 17, 2008

Proof that kids don't always hear exactly what you are saying

Aaron said the funniest thing right in the middle of getting in big trouble on Tuesday night. That day, the kids had difficulty understanding that they were to obey right away, I was sitting with them in devotions reading Prov. 15 and talking to them all about how they had disappointed God and me. I said that Jesus loved us so much that He died a painful death on the cross, so that we could go to heaven with Him (for those who accept Him as their Savior), even though we are such wicked sinners. I told them that they had not shown God that they loved Him very much because they weren’t even willing to obey their mother. Aaron said, “I do love God.” I told them that God said in the Bible, “if ye love me, keep my commandments.” Aaron quickly piped up and said so seriously, “well, there are two commandments that I haven’t broken. I was thinking that he was going to say, “thou shalt not kill or thou shalt not steal“, but instead he said, “ the first one is I haven’t cut down an adult tree and the other is the one about thou shalt not have no other god’s before me. It took me just a second to grasp what he was saying when he said that he hadn’t cut down an adult tree - and then I got it. It was almost more than I could bare... I was able to finish dealing with them without cracking up, but it was so hard. Pastor has been preaching on the 10 commandments and just two Sundays ago he preached on adultery, Pastor is very careful how he explains things when children are around. I guess he doesn’t have to be too concerned with Aaron. :oP
That same night, I had to discipline Aaron for getting in trouble at school (an ongoing problem) afterwards he told me that he wished he was a stuffed animal. I asked him why and he said, “so he wouldn’t have to get spanked. There isn’t suppose to be any humor when disciplining your children, but with aaron, you never know what is going to happen.

4 comments:

Alicia Reagan said...

That is too funny!! I love the funny things kids say. We should write down everything and market it!!

Jennie Bender said...

You are not alone, my friend. I have one of those, too! Please do let us know if Aaron goes on a spree and cuts down scores of adult trees--and be sure to take lots of pictures so we can all laugh with you! Funny, funny!

Daniel & Heidi Schatz said...

OH april, this story is sooo funny! That is one of the cutest stories I've ever heard! Also, I hope I can find you tonight or Sunday before you have your little baby. I have a gift for you since I wasn't able to make your shower. Take care!!:)

The Howell Family said...

Please email me your email address at megpengy9@yahoo.com ! I have been getting strange comments left on my blog from people I don't know! I am going to do invitation only!
Thank you!
Meghan